Sunday, May 15, 2016

Compare and Contrast: The Sky Is Everywhere and Cut

     The two books that I will be comparing and contrasting are The Sky Is Everywhere and Cut. I read both books this quarter.
     The similarity I wanted to point out was how they both involve some type of conflict with a sibling. In TSIE, Lennie's sister Bailey past away. In the book, it says, "The morning of the day Bailey died, she woke me up by putting her finger in my ear. I hated when she did this. She then started trying on shirts, asking me: Which do you like better, the green or the blue? The blue. You didn't even look up Lennie. Okay, the green. Really, I don't care what shirt you wear. Then I rolled over in bed and fell back asleep. I found out later that she wore the blue, and those were the last words I ever spoke to her." This shows how Lennie had a hard time losing her. It also taught me something very important, and that is that we should all be careful about what we say, because that may be the last time we may be able to say to that person, or it could be our last day. I've learned to try to treat each day like its my last, and I like how this book makes readers realize that. 
     In Cut, Callie has a younger brother. She would self harm because she thought it was her fault for her brother becoming ill, which brings conflict in the story. In the book, it says, "It was my fault that Sam is sick." This shows how she thought it was her fault. It also made me realize something, and that is to not blame yourself for everything. I've learned to not blame myself for taking up space in the world, because we are all human and make mistakes, and we all learn from our mistakes and our past. I believe both books allowed me to realize something I've never realized before, and opened my mind to other people's ideas. 
       The difference in these books are the main conflicts of the story. In TSIE, the story is about Lennie and two boys. One makes her forget things, and one helps her through them. So, this book is mainly about romance. But, Cut was about a problem that Callie faced, which was self harm. It didn't talk about romance anywhere in the book, and it was mainly about Callie fighting to end her self harming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment